Early court records indicate that court was held regularly in Avoca since 1885. Court was held in the Opera House from 1885 until the courthouse was completed in December of 1887. Court convened in the new courthouse in January 1888. This made two courthouses in Pottawattamie County, the other one being in Council Bluffs.
The very impressive Judge's Bench on the second floor of the Avoca building was moved from the Council Bluffs Courthouse and placed in the Court Room in Avoca in 1977. The old Council Bluffs Courthouse was dismantled and moved to Torrence, California by an attorney.
The Avoca Courthouse was entered in the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.
The Clerk's Office in the Avoca Courthouse was closed effective December 31, 1992, with all files and records transferred to the Clerk's Office in Council Bluffs.
Visits to the East Pottawattamie County Courthouse can be arranged through the Newtown-Avoca Historical Society.