Music loving Germans formed a club in 1894 called the Avoca Gesang Verein. They financed the building of a Pavilion in the northeast part of town that same year. There were dressing rooms and a large ballroom. It was a popular place for dances, graduation exercises, plays, private parties and community gatherings. It was torn down in the early 1940s.