1906 "Souvenir of Avoca." Avoca Canning Company located where the Alfalfa Mill or more recently a storage building owned by Fred Miller Jr. It was started in 1903. The cannery had a capacity of 36,000 cans of corn per day. The peak year for the cannery was in 1906 when they employed over 100 people, and they canned 251,000 cases of sweet corn. October 18, 1912, the Avoca Cannery was destroyed by fire. It is presumed it was struck by lightning. 17,000 cases of new corn and all the machinery was destroyed.